The American Red Cross, in cooperation with the City of Lakewood, has a blood drive set for Thursday, August 10 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in Maple Room B at The Centre at Sycamore Plaza, 5000 Clark Avenue.
Donations take about an hour. Participants are encouraged to drink plenty of water, eat a nutritious meal ahead of time and bring a photo ID. All participants have a chance to win a Cedar Point or Knott's Berry Farm trip for four, including travel and hotel accommodations and two days worth of park tickets at www.redcrossblood.org/cedarfair. As a thank you to all Red Cross donors, Cedar Fair is offering a special price on park tickets through https://redcross.cedarfair.com.
Walk-in donors are welcome, but RSVPs are appreciated.
Make an appointment online at http://www.redcrossblood.org with sponsor code CityofLakewood.
A new tool, RapidPass, makes it quicker and easier for blood donors to save lives. Visit www.redcrossblood.org/RapidPass for information.
Residents unable to make the scheduled event can quickly find other blood drives using easy search tools at the Red Cross website.
Additional information on donations and volunteer opportunities are at www.redcrossblood.org/volunteer.
General donation requirements:
• Donations accepted every 56 days
• 17 years of age - 110 pounds, 16 years of age with Red Cross permission slip
• Good health the day of donation
• No deferral for individuals who receive a tattoo, by a licensed body art establishment and technician in California. They are eligible to donate blood.
• No deferral for piercing if done in a sterile environment
• Must have been in the U.S. for 3 years
• Most cancers are a 5-year deferral
• You can donate if you have high cholesterol
• You can donate if your diabetes or blood pressure is under control
For travel restrictions, call 800-843-2949, extension 7066.